RE: _PGA_MAX_SIZE limit not being honored

From: Dominic Brooks <dombrooks_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 06:13:05 +0000

You think I'm talking about something different?

Sent from my Windows Phone

From: Hameed, Amir<mailto:Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com> Sent: ý08/ý06/ý2017 06:56
To: Dominic Brooks<mailto:dombrooks_at_hotmail.com>; 'ORACLE-L'<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: RE: _PGA_MAX_SIZE limit not being honored

Thanks Dominic. However, my question was more along the lines of PGA limits not being honored.

From: Dominic Brooks [mailto:dombrooks_at_hotmail.com] Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2017 1:37 AM
To: Hameed, Amir <Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com>; 'ORACLE-L' <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: RE: _PGA_MAX_SIZE limit not being honored

For one generic example of what can do such a thing, see plsql and collections. If I were to populate a big enough collection, I could use up all the memory available on the server.

Cheers
Dominic

Sent from my Windows Phone

From: Hameed, Amir<mailto:Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com> Sent: ý08/ý06/ý2017 03:49
To: 'ORACLE-L'<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: _PGA_MAX_SIZE limit not being honored Hi,
We are working on troubleshooting a performance issue with a Contact Billing job of Oracle’s E-Business Suite (EBS). The Contact Billing module of EBS has a profile option that enables BULK operations for this particular job. Oracle Support’s recommendation is to set the BULK option profile to YES to enable BULK operations. However, what I have seen is that when we enable this option, the PGA utilization goes through the roof. Our PGA settings are shown below:
pga_aggregate_limit                  big integer 32G
pga_aggregate_target                 big integer 16G

We do not allow more than two instances of the job run in parallel to speed up the processing time. While the job is running, the V$PROCESS shows that each process is consuming a PGA of up to 12GB! The V$PGASTAT also shows that the maximum PGA usage was a little over 32GB, I have even seen it go as high as 38G. When we turn the BULK option off, the PGA utilization of those processes does not exceed over 100M per process.

I have the following questions:

  1. Given that _PGA_MAX_SIZE is set to 2GB (2147483648), what is the reason that a process’s PGA can grow above 2GB?
  2. The information from V$PGASTAT shows that the maximum PGA allocated statistic was around 38GB for a few runs. This seems to show that PGA does not really honor the limit set by pga_aggregate_limit?

Thank you,
Amir