Re: backup info in db controlfile with catalog

From: Neil Chandler <neil_chandler_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 08:34:05 +0000

 Orlando,

What happens if you go to take a backup and the database containing the catalog is unavailable? Can your rman scripts cope with this, or will they fail and you don't get any backups that night because the catalog was down or unreachable.

You may want to consider performing the backup without connecting to the catalog. Once the backup is complete, connect to the catalog and perform a "resync catalog" command. If that fails you can resync it later but you still created your backup and all of the backup information is in the controlfile.

Backup history is kept in the controlfile for "CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME". The default is 7 days, which I find very small and generally increase to 64 days (2 months plus a bit). The amount of space taken by a controlfile is pretty irrelevant in the scheme of things.

Ensure you backup your controlfiles as part of the standard backup.

You should also ensure you backup any password files, especially if you use FlexASM as the internally generated FlexASM password is not one with which you want to experience an unrecoverable problem.

regards

Neil Chandler

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Orlando L <oralrnr_at_gmail.com> Sent: 12 May 2017 07:46
To: Stefan Koehler
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: backup info in db controlfile with catalog

Thanks Stefan. Will the information about the backup settings and backup history will still be available in the target db's controlfile.

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 2:02 AM, Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de<mailto:contact_at_soocs.de>> wrote: Hey Orlando,

> will the backup information be still available in the database's controlfile?

Yes, at least until CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME (init parameter) but this is not RMAN catalog specific.

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Independent Oracle performance consultant and researcher Website: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK