Re: Upgrades to v12 + parallel-min-servers

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 18:15:40 +0200 (CEST)

Hey Daniel,
yes the behavior has changed and the formula is "CPU_COUNT * PARALLEL_THREADS_PER_CPU * 2" - please check Mike Dietrich's blog post about this change: https://mikedietrichde.com/tag/parameter-recommendations/

By the way an uncommon high amount of CPU_COUNT is easily caused by SMT and vCPUs (micro-partitioning) on AIX.

> All these new processes proceed to consume all the memory on the host. (unable to fork)

This sounds even more strange. Do you mean that some upgrade procedure uses these processes or do they just consume this amount of memory at startup? If the latter then you might hit the well known "USLA heap" issue on AIX. However you can use svmon to check / drill-down to the root cause.

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Independent Oracle performance consultant and researcher Website: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK