Re: Database Size Information

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 22:07:15 -0400

On 05/03/2017 05:41 PM, Michael Calisi wrote:
> I am looking to build a report that get me the database size
> information for all my databases on a monthly basis. One of my
> tablespaces TS_BLOB consist of BLOB data so I would like to have the
> report that consist of blob and nob blob. Plus I would like to go
> back to Sept 2016 or earlier-but not before Jan 2016.
>
> I am dealing with so many databases/issues I was hoping someone might
> be able to share a report. Saving me the time starting from scratch.
> Thanks,
> --
> Mike.

Hi Mike!
Keeping BLOB data in Oracle database is not a good practice. BLOB data is essentially a file system. People usually keep CLOB data in the database, to build a context index and have them quickly searchable. However, I find NoSQL databases like MongoDB far better suited for such data. As for the text indexing, that is not a problem. There are Apache Lucene, Xapian and Sphinx, Sphinx being my personal favourite. If you intend to keep BLOB/CLOB data in your Oracle database, the advanced compression option is a must, or you will run out of space in no time at all. As for the reports, there is a view called DBA_SEGMENTS which will help you with writing your own report. There is a reporting language called "Pracltical Extraction and Reporting Language", which can be used for formatting. And no, it's not Python. Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA