Re: UGA inside PGA, yes or no?

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_tanelpoder.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 20:55:34 -0800

Yeah, the realfree memory allocator is possible thanks to mmap() and munmap() memory allocation means in modern kernels. So with old school heap managment you could only either grow or shrink the single process heap from its end and all your private allocations had to come from there (using malloc-like library calls that in turn called brk() syscall) ... so you couldn't release (really free) a chunk of private memory *somewhere in the middle of* the heap when you didn't need it anymore. Thus all private allocations (except special stuff like stack and private static variables) came from the same top level heap -> PGA -> UGA -> etc...).

But with realfree allocation mechanism, Oracle uses mmap() to allocate *independent
ranges* of private process memory and importantly use munmap() later when not needing that range of memory anymore. This was not possible with old school heap grow/shrink brk() system call. And given that database calls finish (CGA), even sessions within a process (UGA) can finish without a process exiting for various reasons, inculding reusing PX slave processes), so now it's possible to really free the unused ranges of memory back to the OS, without affecting other allocations.

I miss this stuff ;-)

--
Tanel Poder
CEO & Product Guy