RE: Unzipping of Linux database patches

From: Ruel, Chris <Chris.Ruel_at_lfg.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 19:57:41 +0000

I contend that if you unzip it on Windows first, the transfer will take AGES longer because you will have 1000's of individual files to move. Even if the size is not that much different, the overhead of each file will add many factors of time increase. That is my experience; YMMV.

Chris..

Chris Ruel * Oracle Database Administrator * Lincoln Financial Group cruel_at_lfg.com<mailto:cruel_at_lfg.com> * Desk:317.759.2172 * Cell 317.523.8482

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Beckstrom Jeffrey Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 2:23 PM
To: oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>; oracle-db-l <oracle-db-l_at_Groups.ITtoolbox.com> Subject: OT: Unzipping of Linux database patches

We are migrating our databases from Windows to Linux. I have downloaded the Oracle database media to a Windows workstation. Can I unzip the install media on the Windows PC or should I transfer it to Linux first?

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Lead Database Administrator
Information Technology Department
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority 1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

Notice of Confidentiality: **This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Lincoln National Corporation proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to the Lincoln National Corporation family of companies. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout. Thank You.**