Re: Detailed explanation why uber move from postgress to mysql

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 02:34:31 -0500

On 12/21/2016 02:39 PM, Daniel Westermann wrote:
> If you have doubts send an email to the PostgreSQL hackers mailing
> list and I am sure they will help you with your issue. That is what
> makes PostgreSQL great. Try it and you'll be surprised ... PostgreSQL
> is handling very large data sets as of today, 2TB is in no way a limit
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Well, I have tried it and run away from it. I don't think PostgreSQL can be described as "great", even with a lot of imagination. I will list some of my gripes with PostgreSQL:

  • Partitioning is a joke. No global indexes, not even primary key.
  • Optimizer generates atrocious plans when querying partitioned tables. It can only do partition pruning at the parse time, which means that if there is a bind variable, the whole table will be read.
  • Parallelism in 9.6 can only be described as "too little, too late".
  • Strange attitude about hints. I am aware of pg_hint_plan, but that was done despite disparaging comments and shutting down any discussion about that. And the topic was regularly coming up, because the database administrators wanted hints.

That is only a partial list. I have more issues with Postgres, but this is not the right forum. To paraphrase the title of a book by the late Christopher Hitchens, Postgres is not great. Not by far.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA