Why is impdp slow to import empty tables

From: Will Beldman <wbeldma_at_uwo.ca>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2016 17:28:47 -0500

I am trying to run an impdp job from a database with thousands of tables. I have ~20000 tables that are empty. I still want to create the tables but there's no actual data to import.

The output from the impdp job seems to be spending anywhere between 2-5 seconds per table. Times 20000 tables I'm looking at anywhere between 12 and 24 hours to import the entire database.

I could understand large tables, but I would expect fractions of a second for empty tables. Does this sound normal? Any strategies I could employ to speed this up?