Re: DBA_FREE_SPACE has multiple rows for a given file_id

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 14:55:18 +0000

Answered here (probably):

http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2013/02/25/free-space-2/

Regards
Jonathan Lewis

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Jithin Sarath <jithinsarath_at_gmail.com> Sent: 04 December 2016 14:30:23
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: DBA_FREE_SPACE has multiple rows for a given file_id

I am an Oracle EBS DBA, who lurks here to learn. While looking at what one of our alerts do, I observed something that I felt strange.

Our in house DBA added a 2 GB datafile and it showed up as below.

[Inline images 1]
It appears that the 2 GB was split into 496 MB x4 + 64 MB.

I'm curious to see why is there an upper limit of 496 here ? My SYSTEM tablespace has the below specs

[Inline images 2]
[Inline images 3]

Anyone with some free time who can help me understand is most welcome.

Thanks !! J