Re: Monitoring Oracle ASM space....nagios? Other options?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 02:54:51 -0500

On 11/28/2016 04:04 PM, Mark J. Bobak wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got about 2 dozen Oracle instances running on EC2 in AWS (no
> RDS), and I'm looking for good monitoring solutions. We currently have
> nagios deployed, and it works fine for system-level monitoring, bu
> doesn't give any insight into Oracle DB health, ASM or non-ASM based
> storage, etc.
>
> Does anyone know of any good nagios modules for Oracle monitoring? I
> found one called 'check_asm', that I liked, and seemed to work fine
> when I ran at command line, but when I tried to integrate with nagios,
> refused to work.
>
> Any suggestions? Alternatives to nagios? Has anyone done much with
> Oracle Database monitoring using AWS's Cloudwatch?
>
> Any other thoughts or suggestions?
>
> -Mark

Hi Mark,
The last time I was working with Nagios (2011), it was able to execute Perl scripts as plugins. The query that needs to be executed by the Perl script is

select name,total_mb,free_mb,free_mb/total_mb as "FREE%" from v$asm_diskgroup order by 3;

The problem groups will be shown first. The plugin that I was using was this:

https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Databases/Plugins/Oracle/check_sql_query/details

However, half a decade has gone by, my hair is getting thinner and the details about the configuration have been long forgotten. You will probably have to suffer until you configure it correctly, but the pain will be considerably less than with OEM.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA