RE: OID Standalone

From: Matt <mvshelton_at_chartermi.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2016 13:08:26 -0400

For ldap tnsnames resolution I would use an open source or other LDAP tool based on licensing whether it be OID or OUD.

For password centralization/integration for example with Microsoft AD I would go with Oracle Unified Directory(OUD). We currently using this product and once you get it installed and configured it’s really nice tool. The Documentation I think is lacking we did get Oracle to produce some great whitepapers on the configuration now which should really help with the install/configuration.

Thanks, Matt

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Andy Klock Sent: Thursday, October 6, 2016 12:40 PM To: Niall Litchfield
Cc: fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com; ORACLE-L Subject: Re: OID Standalone

Indeed. Back in 9i, (long before the integration with Fusion Middleware) it was nicely bundled right in the RDBMS stack. I've used OID for tnsnames resolution which was pretty slick*, but for the OP I think you have to go all in with OUD now a days.

I used the following to configure user authentication for a db security (POC).

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/id-mgmt/overview/oud-433568.html

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E49437_01/admin.111220/e22648/eus.htm#CJAFIHGC

Wasn't too bad to set up, but is definitely not free. Currently I have no opinions on it being a more secure approach, so I'd be interested in the motivation of going this route.

Andy K

www.checkyourlogsblog.com

  • Off Topic Note: I wasn't a Fusion Middleware admin and when using the authentication defaults, the admin password expired after 120 days and new connections were blocked....so, be aware of that :)

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 12:15 PM, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> wrote:

AFAIK there is no OUD equivalent of the "free" license for OID for naming purposes only. It requires a DS+ license at some considerable cost.