Re: Thinking about external tables and performance implications (Linux)

From: Mark J. Bobak <mark_at_bobak.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 12:54:21 +0000

Hi Chris,

I agree. Not a good use case for external tables. I think of external tables as strictly a more convenient drop in replacement for what we used to use SQL*Loader for. Move the data from flat file into DB. That's it. Making external table part of application is a bad idea. Performance and backup and recovery are two reasons that come to mind.

-Mark