Re: Creating unique index on huge table.

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 15:47:55 -0400

On 09/24/2016 11:11 AM, Tim Gorman wrote:

>>> COMPUTE STATISTICS was deprecated in Oracle10gR2; excerpted from the
>>> 10.2 documentation
>>> <https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/statements_5010.htm>...
>>>
>>> /*COMPUTE STATISTICS* //In earlier releases, you could use this
>>> clause to start or stop the collection of statistics on an
>>> index. This clause has been deprecated. Oracle Database now
>>> automatically collects statistics during index creation and
>>> rebuild. This clause is supported for backward compatibility and
>>> will not cause errors.
>>> /
>>>

>> I was doing the same thing as you were: partition rebuild. If the
>> "compute statistics" was obsolete for me, then it would be equally
>> obsolete for you. I am no longer a DBA, and I don't have a DB that I
>> could use for testing. However, computing statistics as a part of the
>> index rebuild doesn't look cheap to me, especially not with very
>> large data sets. Gathering statistics doesn't look cheap to me.
>> Regards
>
> Do not try to equate what we have each said in this thread. I have
> not promoted speculation as fact, as you have. Softening assertions
> into opinion, as you now appear to be doing, would have been a more
> credible way to enter the thread.
It appears that I wasn't clear enough. I was just asking about the "compute statistics" part. I checked the 12.1 documentation and I didn't find the "compute statistics" option. So, it appears that both of us have used unnecessary options. Oracle does compute statistics during the index creation/rebuild and there is nothing to be done about it.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA