RE: NETAPP Snap Manager for Oracle backups

From: Deas, Scott <Scott.Deas_at_lfg.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 13:04:45 +0000

Jeffrey,

We got burned using NetApp Snap Manager for Oracle (SMO) back when we upgraded from 11.2.0.1 to 11.2.0.2 and the tool stopped working complete. We brought NetApp on site, worked with them for months, and never got SMO working again. We then, at the advice of NetApp, switched to Snap Creator, and have been happy with that.

RMAN is still our primary backup and recovery tool, and it is what we use for DR since we backup to tape that goes offsite, versus the block change tracking that occurs with NetApp that would be left behind in a failed data center DR scenario. We do utilize Snap Creator for on site restores, clones and splits, it has earned our trust as a reliable tool, and it's an order of magnitude faster than restoring a database using RMAN. I recently had to run a restore of a high criticality database in the middle of a PeopleSoft upgrade and used SnapCreator to restore the database, and RMAN to perform the recovery, and it worked like a charm.

Is NetApp pushing SMO again? Are they describing any benefits to using SMO versus Snap Creator?

Thanks,
Scott

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Beckstrom Jeffrey Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2016 8:12 AM To: oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>; oracle-db-l <oracle-db-l_at_Groups.ITtoolbox.com> Subject: NETAPP Snap Manager for Oracle backups

For those of you using NETAPP storage, do you use Snap Manager to take your database backups. If so, do you still run RMAN backups as well?

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Lead Database Administrator
Information Technology Department
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

.
Notice of Confidentiality: **This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Lincoln National Corporation proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to the Lincoln National Corporation family of companies. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout. Thank You.**