Re: Java old hat?

From: Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 08:21:26 +0100

Morning John,

I loathe and detest Java with a vengeance normally reserved for Perl! But I always have done. Do have a rational reason for doing so? Probably not now,but in the beginning, it was the continual hype about the language that simply tee'd me off completely. A bit like whenever U2 release a new album!

Having said that, I do occasionally use it when I have no other choice. When I develop apps in ANTLR 4 for example, my Tnsnames.ora. validator. (https://github.com/NormanDunbar)

The good thing is that it's pretty much cross platform, although I discovered a couple of windows foibles when unicodecomes into play.

It's not my first choice for cross platform development, I'd much rather use C or C++ with QT or WxWidgets, or even COBOL, but sometimes I have no choice.

Personally, I think too many new languages are coming out as the next great thing these days. Just take a look at all the books on Packt for example.

Cheers,
Norm.

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Jul 01 2016 - 09:21:26 CEST

Original text of this message