RE: How to Reduce Index clustering Factor without downtime

From: Dimensional DBA <dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 00:29:46 -0700

What is the performance problem that you are trying to solve that you believe reducing clustering factor will help you?

In generic answer to your question you could use dbms_redefnition to move your table to being an IOT that matches the index you wish to mirror or if you do not want an IOT then you could just perform dbms_redefinition on a frequent enough basis to eliminate the problem you believe you have.

I would answer the first question and determine if this is really a necessity.

Matthew Parker

Chief Technologist

Dimensional DBA

425-891-7934 (cell)

D&B 047931344

CAGE 7J5S7
<mailto:Dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net> Dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net

<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/matthew-parker/6/51b/944/> View Matthew Parker's profile on LinkedIn

<http://www.dimensionaldba.com/> www.dimensionaldba.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of sumit Tyagi Sent: Saturday, June 4, 2016 12:02 AM
To: Oracle L
Subject: How to Reduce Index clustering Factor without downtime

Hi Oracle-L team ,

How can Clustering Factor be Reduced : My Question is how to reduce CF in a production OLTP environment where table data is constantly changing and we can't afford a downtime .

Clustering Factor (Doc ID 39836.1)

The only method to affect the clustering factor is to sort and then store the rows in the table in the same order as in they appear in the index. Exporting rows and putting them back in the same order that they appeared originally will have no affect. Remember that ordering the rows to suit one index may have detrimental effects on the choice of other indexes.

BR

Sumit Tyagi

+91-7829543355