Re: Security Wonks ate my hamster.

From: John Piwowar <jpiwowar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 06:16:40 -0700

Well...it depends. :)

I'm not a sysadmin, but most DBAs at a certain experience level have to develop at least "junior sysadmin" skills, and that's about where I am. I have yet to encounter a day-to-day admin task that couldn't be handled with sudo. Maybe the stuff that requires knowing the root password is momentous enough that knocking on the door and asking the boss to open the safe is appropriate.

There's a difference between "root-level access" and "access to root password." The nice thing about using sudo is that everything that is executed (or unsuccessfully attempted) as a privileged user can be logged and audited.

IMO even sysadmins benefit from the discipline of using sudo, even if it's just logging into the box with a personal account and executing "sudo -u root bash". ;)

Interesting point you mentioned here, though: if you are *the* sysadmin for the server (or even *a* sysadmin), then your job role implies a particular level of trust/responsibility. Depriving you of the root password doesn't really do much except impede your ability to execute that role in an emergency. Separation of duties is different everywhere, so I don't want to read too much into your org structure, but I really wonder about about the motivation of taking the keys away from the guy entrusted to drive the bus.