Re: Oracle 12c extended VARCHAR - LOB segment grows indefinitely

From: Thomas Kellerer <thomas.kellerer_at_mgm-tp.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 17:18:15 +0100

> I said you would get the same problem with a CLOB because I ran your
> model on 12.1.0.2 then changed the varchar2(32000) to CLOB and got
> the same size problem.

Ah, you are right, the difference is even bigger.

> I've just run the test on 11.2.0.4 - and the same thing occurs -
> massive overallocation for ASSM, relatively small overallocation for
> freelist management. How have you defined the CLOB in 11.2, and
> what's the tablespace definition ? (and which version of 11.2?)

That was 11.2.0.2 and the CLOB columns were using BasicFile storage.

Strangely enough when I try my setup using a CLOB and BasicFile 12.1 behaves the same way as with a CLOB and SecureFile or a varchar(32000)

> Another thought, that depends on what you're users are prepared to put up with
> and the limit you want to impose on the effort/risk, you could do simply:
>
> alter table blob_test move;
> alter index bt_pk rebuild;

Ah! That works.

I only tried "alter table blob_test move", I didn't think of rebuilding the PK index.

That's a better alternative than copying the data back and forth.

Thanks
Thomas