web service logging

From: Jeff <backseatdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 14:50:03 -0800

I know this is not directly a DBA question but I thought maybe someone would have some experience.
My web team is wanting to implement a logging service which will log all calls to their web services and info about who and what was called. And so they are wanting to store this in the database in some table or tables. Which basically means that every call to the database will generate an additional call for logging. To me this seems like a bad idea to store in the database. I am either thinking of creating a separate database just for logging or well I don't know. I suggested just writing it all to a file and use something like Splunk but for some reason which I haven't found out yet they said that would not work for them. Any suggestions/advice? Is this normal practice to log back to the database?