Oracle licensing...Named User Plus Enterprise Edition Oracle Database.

From: Johnson, William L (TEIS) <"Johnson,>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 21:08:13 +0000

I know there have been many, many threads in the past on Oracle licensing. I still have a question and need some input.

I would want to license development databases by Named User Plus for this exercise.

I only have 23 developers to license for this exercise. There are no other users, no internet access and no machine accounts connecting - only the 23 developers access the environment.

I want licenses for the following landscape that consists of five X86 technology servers. Four servers have eight cores and one server has sixteen cores.

How many NUP licenses do I need to buy - and why?

  1. 200 NUP licenses? (16 * 50% * 25)
  2. 600 NUP licenses? (4 * (8 * 50% * 25) + (16 * 50% * 25))
  3. Some other number I do not know about...

Here is the crayon drawing of the landscape... As a side note, I do not wish to license by some strange metric like Named User Plus Server licenses - think Microsoft CAL when thinking about this exercise. The license is called Named User Plus - there is no reference to a server or machine in the title or description of the license.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.

[cid:image001.png_at_01D13688.EDD5A9B0]

image001.png