RE: diff between incremental and archive backups

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 09:06:33 -0500

The most important thing Mladen wrote was this: SLA: what is the time that your CIO will give you to restore a 20TB database.

(And of course substitute in your database size or the tablespace and file organized pieces of your database that you must have fully recovered to continue business operations.)

Then you design your recovery plan, then create the infrastructure to support the database recovery plan and any other business continuation requirements.

Mladen’s description of likely requirements for a highly reliable, very large, and very rapid business continuation plan seem about right to me.

I believe the original questioner might merely be trying to ensure he has all the pieces for an eventual recovery.

To answer his question: If you have a full backup AND all the relevant archive logs you don’t strictly need the incrementals.

And then my opinion on whether he should have the incrementals is earlier in the thread. But it definitely depends on your situation and goal.

A lot of useful thoughts have been expressed in this thread.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Kerber Sent: Saturday, November 14, 2015 8:39 AM To: gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: diff between incremental and archive backups

I am not sure where you get the idea that most places don't use incremental backups. That is the opposite of my experience. Many companies prefer to avoid the additional licensing costs of replication. And even those that do use replication really prefer to have multiple recovery options. In addition, incremental backups are typically fully under the control of the DBA team, while other storage based methods typically require coordination with system and storage teams, which can make recovery much more complicated. In my experience the only places that do not use incremental backups are on SE and don't have it available, though they may refer to their archivelog backups as incrementals.

Perhaps you are more used to dealing with larger companies, with large staffs and hardware and software budgets that can spend the time and personnel to implement and validate other methods.

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 14, 2015, at 12:21 AM, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> wrote:

On 11/13/2015 01:59 PM, Zelli, Brian wrote:

So we were having a discussion about rman incremental backups. And the question came up that if I do an rman full once a week and then rman back up of the archive logs the rest of the week, that’s all I need to do a point in time restore. I don’t have to do incremental backups. Is this an accurate assumption?

Brian

Brian, the first thing to ask is what is the purpose of the incremental backups. Hopefully, you are aware of the fact that backup is an expensive operation. In order to not burden their users unnecessarily during the peak working hours, which were usually during the working week, people have resorted to incremental backups. The price to pay for a quick backup during the week was longer restore and recovery time. If your database croaks on Thursday, you need to restore the full backup taken on Saturday and all the incremental backups from Sunday to Wednesday. After that, you need to do a recovery. However, today is backup the last line of defence. The foremost mechanism to ensure quick recovery is duplication. Typically, production database will be protected by some duplicating mechanism. There are different mechanisms: storage and VM snapshots, disk replication like SRDF, HUR (Hitachi Universal Replicator), SnapVault/SnapMirror, standby databases or incremental backup in the FRA, which is constantly recovered. Most of those duplication methods allow quick and painless backup. If you backup your standby database, you can restore it to production. RMAN catalog will recognize the standby and production as the same database, because they have the same DBID. It is also possible to mount disk snapshots or disk replica and do either a file system backup or rman backup. Be aware that there is usually some scripting involved or a product which can do that by itself. In case of a replica, the consideration of slowing down users is eliminated. Users are not using standby database. So, if you do a full backup of a replica every day, you are not obstructing the business process, you are speeding the recovery. The only obstacle left is storage. If you have 20TB database, which is not particularly gigantic these days, than keeping 7 full backups on disk would require 140TB of disk storage, which still costs a pretty penny. That is where modern deduplication algorithms come into play. They are typically much more efficient than compression and achieve around 90% savings, as opposed to compression which achieves around 70%. That efficiency comes at a cost, usually requires SSD and 10GB network, but you will need at least 10GB network any way if you want to backup 20TB database in less than a week. So, with 90% deduplication efficiency, your full backup shrinks down to 2TB, which is about the same space as consumed by the incremental backup. So, you have now solved the question of strategy: some kind of duplication will be needed and a proxy backup of the replica, with deduplication added into the mix. The only remaining question is now the one of SLA: what is the time that your CIO will give you to restore a 20TB database. This database is likely powering a web application which should be available 24x7x365. Twelve hours offline is usually unacceptable. If PayPal of Ebay ever went offline for the full 12 hours, they would be destroyed by the competitors. So, switch to standby or revert from snapshot will speed things immensely, but you will still have to restore 20TB in 4 or 5 hours, which is quite a feat. For that, you will need storage attached with a FC adapter and a good SAN, with a lot of cache. Cheapo NAS storage cannot do the trick. Long story short, you will need to spend a lot of money on hardware, SAN licenses, Oracle licenses, infrastructure and alike. Forget the incremental backups, almost nobody does that any more. If somebody is doing incremental backups, that is because of ignorance, not because of some "secret sauce" which will speed up backups. Good backup strategy is neither simple nor cheap and is highly dependent on your business needs.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA