Re: removal of Java from existing databases

From: Rich J <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 13:44:12 -0500

On 2015/10/19 12:06, Adric Norris wrote:

> We have a number of databases, primarily 11.2.0.4 64-bit on Linux and Solaris, which unnecessarily have Java installed (among other components). Since the quarterly Java PSU can't be applied in a rolling manner, and we aren't really using Java anyway, we're strongly considering taking a one-time outage to deinstall the JavaVM and CATJAVA components from all of our environments. Ideally we want to eliminate all traces, so that the databases behave as if the Java subsystem had never been installed in the first place.
>
> The plan is to follow step 2 (Remove the JVM) from MOS document 1112983.1 (How to Reload the JVM in 11.2.0.x). Basically, this comes down to the following:
>
> [snip]
>
> Once complete, we would then followup by removing of any of the following components which are found to be present.
>
> * Oracle Multimedia (ORDSYS, ORDIM)
> * Oracle Ultra Search (WKSYS)
> * Oracle Data Mining (DMSYS)
> * Oracle Spatial (MDSYS)
> * Oracle Rules Manager and Expression Filter (EXFSYS)
> * Oracle Warehouse Builder (OWBSYS)
> * OLAP
>
> Has anyone gone through a similar exercise? And if so, did you encounter any "gotchas" which I should be watching out for? Some of these environments are using GoldenGate for Oracle-to-Oracle data replication... not sure if this complicates matters or not.

Hey Adric,

Three years ago, I went through removing all components added presumably by DBCA under 10.1 in order to prep for upgrading to 11.2. JVM? No problem. But OLAP is another story. See MOS 332351.1. At least that article _should_ work. Under 10.1, I had to also combine solutions from MOS 1060023.1, 565773.1, 1449652.1, and an SR. In the end, Support was unable to come up with a solution to completely remove OLAP in a timely matter, and I had to resort to using some of the 11.2 scripts on my 10.1 DB to finally wipe it clean.

Also, my notes state that some of the component removals were order-sensitive. I removed these particular components in this order (again, this was under 10.1):

EM Repository
Oracle Workbench Manager
Ultrasearch
Oracle Text
Spatial
interMedia
Data Mining
OLAP
JVM The JVM removal also removed the Expression Filter, although I don't have a reference to documentation that says it. Given the dependencies, I would remove JVM last.

As always, test test test! HTH! GL!

Rich