Re: Bigger block sizes

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 13:35:45 -0600

Disagree on the conclusion.

Those who have cited improvements only tested narrowly, for specific use-cases, as I recall. Narrow and specific operations like CTAS operations, and that was it. You shouldn't base a wide-reaching decision for an entire application platform on something as specific as a CTAS operation. So they probably didn't "gain" anything from the bigger blocksize, they merely had one positive test scenario, and never tested for other related scenarios.

I don't recall a single mention of a regression test with the bigger block size.

More to the point, I don't recall anyone specifically testing a workload that generated inter-connect cache-fusion traffic on RAC with the bigger block size.

I don't want to be that guy who screams caution at every idea. I just know that a solution should be on the same scale as the problem it is addressing.

If you have a specific problem that needs improvement, then your solution should be just as specific. Tune the SQL. Use parallel execution. Fiddle with session-level parameters.

If the proposed solution is as global and wide-reaching as database block size or tablespace block size or instance-level initialization parameters, then alarm bells should always start screaming.