Re: Character set conversion and database size

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 23:37:54 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Peter,

> Does the same idea apply a VARCHAR2 column whose contents can be coded as single bytes or does "Hello world!" actually take twice as much space in
> Unicode as it does in the default character set?

The official Oracle documentation answers your question (as it depends on the stored characters): http://docs.oracle.com/database/121/NLSPG/ch6unicode.htm#i1006758

The other question would be, if the VARCHAR2 column definition is using the byte or character syntax. Be aware that your current VARCHAR2 column width may need adjustments.

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK