Re: Running import datapump over a database link.

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 13:14:59 -0400

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 6:27 AM, Zabair Ahmed <roon987_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Am trying to import a large table (176gb) from our Production database to a
> test database using a database link. This is test exercise and I want to
> know the timings the import for when we do this for live later on in the
> month.

One additional quick thought -- when I've attempted to do dblink-based data pumps in the past, my biggest problem was network bandwidth - if I remember correctly, nothing is compressed when you data pump over a dblink.

Counterintuitively, there are some cases where compressing and transferring disk-based export files will be faster than the db-link based import. Might be worth a try.

If disk-based export/import isn't an option (e.g. you don't have file system access on the server) then disregard this email. :)

-Jeremy

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider