Re: Use the existing RAC. . . or build another one?

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 16:23:58 -0400

Wow. You must get good discounts from Oracle.

List price for EE, last time I checked, was about $50,000 per "processor". 8 Intel cores are 4 "processors", so that's about $200,000 for the desktop PC with a single I7 processor.

And no "extras", like RAC, Diagnostics/Tuning Pack, Partitioning, ...

You don't have to work hard to come to a list price close to a half-million-dollars to run Oracle on a desktop PC.

This is why I have -- for years -- been counseling customers who are agonizing over the cost of hardware for their Oracle deployments to stop worrying and treat the hardware as "free". Once you have paid for the database licenses, it might as well be. In fact, I rather suspect that it would take little negotiation on anybody's part to get an Oracle sales rep to throw in Intel-based hardware FREE OF CHARGE if you agree to pay list price for the database licenses. ;-)

What really horrifies me these days is the growing price gulf between EE and SE. On 18-core Intel processors, EE costs almost 100x as much as SE-One. That is a price difference that is becoming difficult to justify.