Re: Use the existing RAC. . . or build another one?

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 14:49:53 -0400

On 04/17/2015 01:47 PM, Jeremy Schneider wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 1:22 PM, Mladen Gogala<mgogala_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >That amounts to a desktop PC which can
>> >be bought for $1K these days. No humor here.

> yeah you're right, that really isn't funny; it's more like sad.
Does anyone remember the times when hardware was more expensive than software? The purpose of the multi-tenancy option is to save hardware resources like CPU, RAM and disk. The price of those hardware resources is much, much lower than the price of multi-tenancy option itself. Let me demonstrate:

The price of a PC with Intel I7 CPU, 32GB of RAM, low end graphic card and two 2TB disks is around $1.5k. Intel I7 is an 8-core CPU. The price of Oracle EE (CPU license) for that PC is $80k. If I run two instances of Oracle on that PC, I will likely use 2GB RAM and 1 core on overhead alone. PDB option can save me from such wasting of resources - for $80k. If we take the more expensive large Dell pc with 4 CPU sockets and 512GB RAM, the price is higher, about $7k Multi-tenancy option, assuming CPU license, will be for 32 cores. List price says that it will cost $320k. And it will save me resources on $7k PC. You are right. It's sad.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA