Re: SQLcl new sqlplus for sql developer 4.1 ea NICE

From: Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco <jcdrpllist_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 14:53:42 -0400

I think to succeed, SQLcl and SQLPLUS, must have a clear delimitations of what they are and what they are not.

I think someething that can be the main difference is a menu (in DOS like quattro) this is sqlplus is a simple utility to run commands, meanwhile sqlcl is all the functionality you can move from sqldeveloper to a dos window, but with a menu for a intuitive learning, the reason for using sqlcl and not sqldeveloper is simple, is speed, posibility tu create scripts, etc.
Basically will be the command line of the sql developer + sql plus functionality, or at least most of the sql plus functionality.

Other example is currently we have rman and sqlplus, in 12c rman is more similar than sqlplus, the question is why to use rman, if sqlplus could have all the functionality of rman? maybe because there are some command in rman you don't want to execute by mistake in sqlplus, in example restore o recover.

I think the delimitation and justification to have more than one tool should be clearly defined, but as I told you a commandline of sql devloper could be enough reason to create a different tool, but that means you should add a command for most useful task you can do in sql developer.

:)