Re: Is database read activity primary sequential or random?

From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 08:34:13 -0600

Jeremy really nailed it with the "...better not to improvise..." I had concerns back in November at the beginning of this migration project, but they were brushed aside. I wasn't an SE and didn't understand how storage worked. After all, I'm only a DBA. Funny thing, or maybe not, is that this storage was new to every member of the SE team and *they* didn't understand how it worked either. They didn't read the white papers EMC and Oracle provided to us, nor did they follow my/Technologent's recommendations. They decided they knew better and if we had problems later, we would work through them. Now there's a mad rush to get the redo, flashback, and controlfiles for all the migrated databases onto the SSD like I requested last year.

I was able to find a developer who understood basically how our three most critical applications were designed to work. Using that as a starting point, I'll do some research on current execution plans and such. I am not giving my approval to migrate these last 2 databases until we have a better understanding of the configuration needed. Fortunately, they will need my approval before it happens.

I've fought with the "you're just a DBA" attitude for several years now. It's tiring and frustrating, but not unexpected. I got some unexpected support from the VP of IT and the CTO this week, so that helped.

--
Sandy
GHX