Re: Is database read activity primary sequential or random?

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 08:32:20 -0400

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 1:04 AM, MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> But let's not confuse the issue. I am pretty sure that the storage
> administrators in this case are interested in what the database is trying to
> do, not what the underlying physical disks actually are doing. They are
> probably trying to decide what data to assign to which tier of storage.

see now my assumption would have been the opposite - they are configuring disks, so they would be interested to know the actual I/O patterns will be so they can configure appropriately. in particular it smells to me like someone is toying with aggressive read-ahead... which is rarely a good idea for database volumes.

>> On 04/16/2015 01:20 PM, MARK BRINSMEAD wrote:
>>
>> Take care in answering this question. And maybe spend some time with your
>> storage administrators to make sure you (and they) understand why they are
>> asking it.

so yeah, i think that hits the nail on the head. :)

is this the same SE team that previously ignored your and Technologent's specific requests about how to config the SAN for the database? if you can find out what specific SAN features they are considering - which is driving this question - then you could research the SAN feature yourself and possibly even ask back on the list if anyone else has experience with that specific SAN configuration (if it's appropriate to post the question publicly).

also -- if you're on EMC storage then there should be a guide out there that tells you how to config your specific storage for an oracle database. EMC usually has those available (most storage vendors do). your SE team should just follow the guide. it's better not to improvise unless you've got a really good understanding of why you're going off the beaten path. if they have questions about how to interpret the guide, then have them send you a copy of whatever EMC doc they're using and you can help them understand the database-specific parts.

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider