Re: Use the existing RAC. . . or build another one?

From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 09:48:34 -0500

You Need to know:
- size of existing nodes (# of CPUs, amount of RAM) - % utilization of CPU capacity during peak and % utilization of existing RAM
- % IO bandwidth utilization of existing 2 node RAC

Without knowing the size of your individual nodes, I'd recommend increasing the RAM in the existing 2 nodes and putting a new instance there versus paying for the Oracle licensing costs of a new 2-node RAC system. But this depends on whether or not you have the CPU capacity. If your existing db is hammering the CPUs consistently then putting additional load on the system would be a bad, bad idea.

Chris