Re: Pga is growing on 11.2.2.0

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 07:12:45 -0400

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this discussion (auto memory mgmt can certainly thrash sometimes) however I'd offer two additions:
  1. I'm currently using ASMM across a rather large estate. Since I arrived a few years ago, we have been following a policy where we only set the minimums if there are problems. So far we haven't had to set a minimum yet. We do have some very busy databases, although admittedly we also write the app that runs on them so things mostly use binds and such, avoiding some of the more common exploding shared pool issues. Also our devs work great with our DBAs - when we see potential problems they are usually right on top of making improvements in the app to address them.
  2. versions please, as Oracle is often changing things between releases. I have a lot of systems running on 11.2.0.3 with ASMM and we haven't yet seen thrashing (previous caveat may contribute).

That said, I don't think minimums are a bad idea. Although I'm not sure if it would really prevent "thrashing" (seems like that's usually jumping back and forth over some small threshold) but rather just prevents outright stupid allocations like Ls Cheng mentioned...

-J

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider