Re: Importance of archivelog : searching for good document

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 14:08:50 -0400

Wow. I did not think it was *necessary* to argue in favour of archive-logging. :-)

The main points are already covered: PITR, online backups, dataguard, logminer.

Perhaps a couple finer points:

  • When you have archivelogs (archivelog backups), your database backups are self-redundant. Need to restore the database from backup, but you're missing a tape? NO PROBLEM -- just restore from the PRIOR backup, and roll forward with archivelogs. (To that end, archivelogs are *so* valuable, I still recommend that you always back them up *twice*, preferably to separate media pools.) Your backups are also recoverable for (much) longer than they would be if you relied on retaining only online redologs.
  • Some people see archivelogs and logminer as a proxy for (or maybe complement to) auditing.