ADMINISTRIVIA: Usenet and NNTP and Oracle-L, oh my!

From: Mark J. Bobak <mark_at_bobak.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 01:14:36 -0500

Hi all,

Just a bit of news regarding a new feature that FreeLists is now offering. If you're an old dinosaur like me, and remember Usenet newsgroups, like comp.databases.oracle.server, this may bring up some *old* memories.... :-)

As of now, you can access a 60-day rolling window of Oracle-L content via any NNTP-based news reader client. Simply point your news reader to this URL: nntps://nntp.freelists.org, and you should see 'Oracle-L' as a subscription option. That's all there is to it.

Some quick points:

  • Oracle-L is *not* turning into a Usenet newsgroup.
  • If you don't know or don't care about NNTP, you can ignore this message, and nothing will change.
  • This is a *read-only* interface. There will be no way to post to Oracle-L via NNTP.
  • This is purely an option, you don't need to care about or use it, if you don't want to.
  • Currently, this is a new feature, and is in beta. Any and all feedback, positive or negative, is welcome, and I'll forward to the FreeLists guys.

Questions or concerns? Let me know.

That is all.

Thanks,

-Mark