Re: web enabled ./runInstaller ?

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 11:37:20 -0500

What about good old "curses".

I cannot be the only one here who remembers the text-based OUI we used to have with Oracle7.

Sure -- there were lots of issues with the OUI back then. I doubt I had EVER done an Oracle7 install without having to copy the media from tape to disk and edit the installation scripts, but that has nothing to do with the technology used to build the user interface.

Sure, there were no pretty graphics. And sure, I did not have the pleasure of watching Oracle advertising splashed across my screen as the installation ran, but the installer would run equally well from any TTY session, and it did not matter one whit whether I was running it on the database server's "console", or from a remote terminal located on the moon.

(Okay -- I have never actually *tried* a trans-lunar install session. But I bet it would work a LOT better with curses than with Java and X-Windows.)

Curses-based user interfaces are not beautiful. But they are highly functional, especially when you need to do an install remotely over a low-bandwidth or high-latency connection. Of course, response files are not so awful, either, once you knuckle down and get used to them. But still, its nice to have an interactive option that will actually work over a 300 baud dialup line.