Re: Non-CDB officially deprecated ...

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 01:55:32 -0500

On 01/23/2015 01:16 AM, Chitale, Hemant K wrote:

> A CDB with a *single* PDB (aka “Single Tenant”) does not require the
> MultiTenant Option. It is implicitly in the Enterprise Edition.
>
> Hemant K Chitale

What's the point? Why would I want to complicate my life with CDB's and PDB's, without getting any benefit? Jared's poll doesn't show overwhelming enthusiasm for upgrading to 12c in the first place. I believe that people are still waiting for 12.2. Making upgrades more complex and requiring them to learn new paradigm, without having any benefits from that would only postpone upgrading en mass. I do believe that multi-tenant option will be integrated for free in the future releases because from financial point of view, it simply doesn't make sense. How would you justify the purchase of PDB's to your boss? Say you have a big Linux box with 256GB RAM and 32 CPU cores. You are running 3 instances on that machine. What would you say? I doubt that something like: "for only quarter of a million, I can save 15% or more of CPU power and 32 GB RAM" would fly. There are many other options: use NUMA server and tie each instance to the particular set of CPU resources. You can also virtualize DB servers and have the servers running on the separate virtual machines. With some investment in the hardware, the same effect will be achieved at a fraction of the price. This announcement doesn't make any sense whatsoever, unless Oracle Corp. is planning to integrate PDB's in the future releases for free. I cannot envision them selling too many multi-tenant licenses right now. It just doesn't make sense from the financial point of view. Of course, making that public would also prevent them from selling any multi-tenant licenses right now because the clients would simply wait for 12.2. Which they're doing right now, according to Jared's poll.
--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA