Re: Non-CDB officially deprecated ...

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 07:28:10 -0700

On 22/01/2015 11:55 PM, Mladen Gogala (Redacted sender mgogala_at_yahoo.com for DMARC) wrote:
> On 01/23/2015 01:16 AM, Chitale, Hemant K wrote:

>> A CDB with a *single* PDB (aka “Single Tenant”) does not require the
>> MultiTenant Option. It is implicitly in the Enterprise Edition.
>>
>> Hemant K Chitale
>>

> What's the point? Why would I want to complicate my life with CDB's > and PDB's, without getting any benefit?

The CDB architecture requires some very subtle changes in administration. (Although Oracle has done a decent job of making it transparent to all the apps I looked at.)

Eventually, if you plan on continuing to use Oracle RDBMS, you will migrate to 12c or higher. At some point the non-CDB architecture will likely not be available in newer releases but OS/HW/feature changes will force the upgrade

If, at that time, you prefer to keep two separate administration styles, you can.

If you are upgrading the bulk of the instances relatively soon (an incentive being the fact that Oracle Premier Support ends next week for 11gR2 as per
http://www.oracle.com/us/support/lifetime-support/index.html - Technical Support Policy) then it might be worth moving to the CDB architecture.

/Hans