Re: MTTR and Optimal Logfile Size

From: Brent Day <coloradodba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 02:37:31 -0700

Jeff,

How many logfile switches per hour occur at the heaviest switching hour? Here is a query that can help you find that information:

select trunc(first_time,'hh24'), count(*) from v$archived_log
where first_time >= sysdate - 30
group by trunc(first_time,'hh24')
order by 2;

Ideally you want a logfile switch about every 20 minutes (Oracle's documented best practice) and have your redo log files multiplexed. With current numbers provided this would be closer to 50GB.

Brent