Re: Exadata + OMCS

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 15:57:58 -0600

the only reason i've ever heard for different OS users would be security - doesn't sound like that applies in your case. also i'm not sure i've ever personally seen a production setup like that. i'm sure it's out there, but i have seen a lot of different environments and didn't come across it (worked with at least a couple dozen different companies in my consulting days and a few really big ones as an employee).

strategy for oracle_home and database naming is a little more nuanced. besides the advantages, there are also drawbacks to indicating purpose in the database name. personally i prefer to stay away from that too. likewise with shared oracle_homes, though i think the drawbacks are fewer here and i tend to prefer shared homes.

if the buck stops with them when it comes to managing the environments, then they definitely have a strong interest in uniform standards across all the environments they manage. speaking as an ops guy who manages a lot of databases myself, even if the standards aren't perfect it's better if all the systems match to those imperfect standards. i've made a lot of changes to the standards here over time where i am but it's a very slow, carefully managed process.

you should keep a list of the issues and discuss them with your management. to the extent that they impact your business, management can discuss it with their counterparts at the managed services organization.

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider