Exadata + OMCS

From: Stephens, Chris <Chris.Stephens_at_adm.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 15:05:02 -0600

My employer went big with Oracle engineered systems in the last year and due to lack of in-house experience, contracted with Oracle Managed Cloud Services to assist in managing the environment which consists of Exalytics, Exalogic, Exadata.

I get the impression that it's not common for OMCS to manage systems that reside in a customer's data centers vs at Oracle data centers but that's what we have.

At this point, all I care about are the Exadata machines which are currently just two ¼ racks.

After recently managing to get some access to the dev/test Exadata machine, I've discovered that they are doing a number of things which I believe will become a maintenance nightmare down the road. ...probably about the same time we bring administration of these machines back in house

Each database (currently 9) is installed under a different OS user under a unique Oracle home. They claim this is necessary so that each database can be patched separately and maintained at different versions. I strongly prefer the default to be all databases reside in a common home under a common OS user (oracle) with case by case decisions being made to migrate databases to a new home for legitimate business reasons.

Actually, I would prefer more discretion in the decision to create a new database for each new application but that's more my company's fault vs OMCS.

OMCS is also steamrolling us with their database naming conventions which appear to start with P|D|T followed by my employers initials followed by random numbers or letters with include upper case O's and zeros. This is infuriating. They are doing this to make it easier for them to manage our databases in their environment. These are our databases and we would like names that give some indication of their purpose. The ending in a number is a pain in the butt with RAC databases and the letter O vs number 0 is killing me too. They say this isn't negotiable.

I have several more complaints but I'll refrain from making this too long.

What do you think of these standards? Is there anyone out there that uses OMCS to manage their Exadata environment? Any comments on how that is going?

Any comments/input are appreciated.

Chris

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email reply.