Re: Symantec ODM or ASM

From: William Muriithi <william.muriithi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 18:33:37 -0400

  Original Message

Hi, UNIX team want to use symantec ODM against ASM. In the past i uses Quick io. I did not find many technical information on it. What is the benefit to use a product that you have to pay against a free product like ASM. Thank you. Thierry

I don't have experience with ASM, so this is just a guess. I think its not about technology but more of politics. Being a unix admin, I am in the dark about ASM and would be tempted to push something I know and hence would be in control.

That being said, if I was in his shoes, I would opt for ASM even if I had symantic license. This is because ASM is more native and widely tested against oracle. This is with assumption though you would take care of storage till I get comfortable with ASM

I guess you will just need to highlight the danger of putting one more thing that can fail in the stack. You left with vendors passing blame to each other while you as customer is hard capped

William