RE: TDE Wallet Management Question

From: Uzzell, Stephan <SUzzell_at_MICROS.COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 14:29:08 +0000

Hi Jim,

You may want to take a look at MOS Doc 1294017.1 – it suggests you get behavior like this if and when you have a long/complex wallet password. I know that we fought the same thing until we backed our wallet password down to something simpler.

GL,
stephan

[Oracle | Micros]<http://www.oracle.com/> Stephan Uzzell | Database Administrator | HGBU Cloud Operations Mobile: +1 443.864.1725
Oracle Hospitality
Swarthmore, PA | US
[cid:image002.gif_at_01CFDD84.DCD06460]<http://www.oracle.com/commitment>

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of james.clarence.allen_at_census.gov Sent: Friday, 10 October, 2014 10:21
To: Oracle-L_at_freelists.org
Subject: TDE Wallet Management Question

I am just beginning to use TDE (mandated by OIS) in a 2 server RAC environment.

I created the master key wallet for my database and created auto-logon wallet. I copied the wallet to the second server and created an auto-logon wallet.

In instance #1 (where I created the wallet) I get:

SQL> seleinst_id,status from gv$encrypted_wallet;

INST_ID STATUS

----------  ------------------
          1  OPEN
          2  CLOSE

I go over and manually open the wallet on instance #2 and check:

SQL> seleinst_id,status from gv$encrypted_wallet;

INST_ID STATUS

---------- ------------------
          1 CLOSE
          2 OPEN

Problem

I couldn't get the wallet to open on both servers. When I opened the wallet on one server it closed on the other.

Solution

My solution was to bounce the instance and let the auto-logon open the wallet. After I stopped/started the databasesrvctl I got:

INST_ID STATUS

---------- ------------------
          1 OPEN
          2 OPEN

Question

  1. Is this the way it is suppose to work?
  2. Do I have to bounce the instance each time to get the wallet to open without closing it on the other instance?

I know, I know... The answer is 42 :-)

Sincerely,

Jim Allen
Database Support Lead, MASSDB Staff