Disable flashback in either shutdown or nomount mode?

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 19:07:33 -0500

Good evening,

Part of my staging/dev refresh process involves taking an image copy backup of prod datafiles and controlfiles and firing up a new instance from them. The first thing I do when mounting the new database is to turn off flashback. However recently we're seeing that the time to mount takes almost 40 minutes while the instance creates a new flashback log. Seems silly to have to wait for this when we plan to disable it right away anyway.

Is there a way to disable flashback database without having to mount? I'm guessing the worst case scenario is having to create a trace of the controlfile and create a new one with flashback disabled.

Don.

--

Don Seiler
http://www.seiler.us