Re: SEMI-OT: Reinstall DB software as a fix?

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 20:09:15 -0600

I have had the 'pleasure' of reinstalling a variety of s/w, including Oracle DB Server, on Windows over the years. Five separate occasions that I can recall. Two were related to registry challenges, the others seem to be related to 'media degradation'. I often fret about the quality of h/w and related drivers, esp. network & iSCSI.

On Linux, I believe I have reinstalled Oracle s/w only once. That was due to a hard drive suffering SMART failures. fsck would probably have fixed it (allowing me to copy to another drive), but since /u01 was a separate mount point and separate physical device, I decided to reinstall.

Lately I've been seeing an increase in unstable spinning disk drives. I keep wondering whether there is a conspiracy trying to drive me towards SSD. In any case, it certainly has caused me to carefully review my backup strategies, and put in a request for more modern backup facilities.

/Hans