Re: SEMI-OT: Reinstall DB software as a fix?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 21:55:39 +0100

Funny you should mention the vm incident, I can confirm from my experience typing on a train (where I do my playing with Oracle in a vm) that typing rm *.* in $ORACLE_HOME/bin instead of in /tmp/workdir results in bad things happening :).

In addition as it happens we've run into the issue described by *Error ORA-46105 When Trying To Create An ACL (Doc ID 1168180.1 )* The "solution" reads emphasis mine

To resolve the error, perform following action plan:  SQL> connect as sydba

SQL> shutdown immediate
SQL> startup upgrade
SQL> start $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/xsdbmig.sql
SQL> shutdown immediate
SQL> startup

*Don't be worried about any error messages.* When finished, check if creating an ACL works.

*If it still does not work*, re-install XDB

I love the way the note suggests as an action plan an outage and to run a specific script that *may or may not work*. We'll be re-installing XDB since we don't actively use it, however that itself is not without issues, so we'll probably do this at the next database upgrade :) Its also worth saying that under certain circumstances the advice to reinstall XDB itself may result in data loss.

So I guess there are some comparable stories out there.

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 9:39 PM, Jeremiah Peschka <jeremiah_at_brentozar.com> wrote:

> I hosed a Oracle installation in a VM so badly that it threw fatal errors
> every time I ran queries.
>
> As far as SQL Server goes - there are a lot of ways to break software.
> When your DBAs rebuild the server, I'd recommend using
> http://brentozar.com/blitz/ to check the basic configs on the system. It
> doesn't catch everything, but it'll catch an awful lot of stupid.
>
> ---
> Jeremiah Peschka - Managing Director, Brent Ozar Unlimited
> MCSE: Data Platform, MVP
> Cloudera Certified Developer for Apache Hadoop
>
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Rich Jesse <
> rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I'm having the Micro$oft Month From Hell here. Apparently, one of our new
>> production SQueaL Servers is so confusingly hosed that MS Support is
>> recommending a complete reinstallation of SQueaL Server software. All of
>> the pretty bling surrounding the DBs (e.g. SSIS) randomly fail with
>> increasing frequency and severity to the point that our Analysts can't
>> even
>> run packages anymore. We've also had "minor" correctable DB corruption
>> already on this new server (yes, we've checked for h/w issues).
>>
>> Has anyone ever had to reinstall Oracle due to severe issues like this?
>> Granted, I've purposely not run Oracle on Windows due to the mysterious
>> entropy that seems to plague software on all versions of Winders I've had
>> deal with.
>>
>> Rich
>>

>> --

Niall Litchfield