Re: DBFS or ACFS for Flat Files and Dump Files

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 06:54:13 -0600

I find it interesting that, on Exadata, Oracle says yes to DBFS and (until GI 12.1.0.2) said no to ACFS.
https://blogs.oracle.com/RobertGFreeman/entry/exadata_support_for_acfs_and

And for Exadata, it is the only real way to hold these staging files. Works like a charm and is the best practice.

See also
http://kevinclosson.net/2009/12/17/oracle-database-file-system-dbfs-its-not-an-exadata-feature-part-i/

As far as I'm concerned, the DBFS is simply the latest evolution to the oradav capability that has allowed us to 'mount the database table as a file system' since Oracle8i. It has had many years to mature and become robust, but the concept is from the late 90s.

However, dbfs_client is only available on Linux.

/Hans