RE: recatalogging rman backupset pieces in 9i

From: Ruel, Chris <Chris.Ruel_at_lfg.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 18:53:29 +0000

This is going to be very vague but it is all I found in my notes from many years ago doing something similar to what you had to do...I have slept too many times since then to give any more details...maybe it will get you going in the right direction:

DECLARE

                devtype varchar2(512);
                done boolean;
BEGIN
                devtype := dbms_backup_restore.DeviceAllocate (type => '',ident => 'TEST');
dbms_backup_restore.RestoreSetArchivedLog(destination=>'/u01/app/oracle/archive');
dbms_backup_restore.RestoreArchivedLog(thread=>1,sequence=>1556);
dbms_backup_restore.RestoreBackupPiece(done => done,handle => '/backup/prod12/j1w0ff1qbh1_1_1', params => null); dbms_backup_restore.DeviceDeallocate;
END;
/

Chris Ruel * Oracle Database Administrator cruel_at_lfg.com<mailto:cruel_at_lfg.com> * Desk:317.759.2172 * Cell 317.523.8482

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Adams, Matthew (GE, Appl & Light) Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2014 2:06 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: recatalogging rman backupset pieces in 9i

Scenerio: rebuilding a 9i database after complete systems failure. Control files and Data files from last rman complete backup have been restored. Attempt to recover forward to the point of failure (or as close as we can get). Not using a catalog, and obviously, control files do not know about archive log backups done since last full backup. The archive log backups were done as sets, not individual files.

I know that in 9i, rman did not support re-catalogging backup sets, only individual files.

Is there any way around this? I need to either get the information about backupset pieces into the control files, or extract the individual archived redo log files from them, so I could to the recovery manually.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Matt Adams

Notice of Confidentiality: **This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Lincoln National Corporation proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to the Lincoln National Corporation family of companies. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout. Thank You.**