recatalogging rman backupset pieces in 9i

From: Adams, Matthew (GE, Appl & Light) <"Adams,>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 18:05:39 +0000

Scenerio: rebuilding a 9i database after complete systems failure. Control files and Data files from last rman complete backup have been restored. Attempt to recover forward to the point of failure (or as close as we can get). Not using a catalog, and obviously, control files do not know about archive log backups done since last full backup. The archive log backups were done as sets, not individual files.

I know that in 9i, rman did not support re-catalogging backup sets, only individual files.

Is there any way around this? I need to either get the information about backupset pieces into the control files, or extract the individual archived redo log files from them, so I could to the recovery manually.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Matt Adams