Manual UPgrade question

From: Storey, Robert (DCSO) <"Storey,>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 14:07:54 +0000

So working on a manual upgrade of 9iR2 to 11gR2. Changing hardware and word size. Import/Export is not an option, DBUA is not an option, nor is transportable tablespaces. Manual is all I have left short of buying migration software such as Shareplex or Goldengate.

The manual upgrade appears straight forward. My question is for after the upgrade.

So I have a new server that will be my production server. I'll do my testing on it. So, assuming the manual upgrade is successfully wrung out and tested and I'm ready to do the live upgrade.

I'm curious if , now that I have the upgraded DB on the production server could I just recopy over new versions of the datafiles, controlfiles, redo Logs(?) and restart the upgraded database without having to run through the upgrade again.

According to documentation, the datafiles are not changed. The upgrade involves recompilation of binaries and such.

Or does the upgrade alter the contents of the sys tablespace?

Thanks