Re: How much advisable is to migrate from oracle server to linux server 0-100?

From: Tim Hall <tim_at_oracle-base.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 07:08:40 +0100

This is how it was explained to me...

The majority of core Oracle Database code is currently written on Oracle Linux x86_64. With that in mind, it is often considered to be the most well tested, since everything else is essentially a port.

There is some specific development on Solaris and due to the difference between Windows and the UNIX/Linux brigade, there is quite a lot of Windows-specific development.

I've never run the numbers to see what percentage of bugs are registered on each platform, so I would not like to guess which is the most buggy (AIX). :)

Having lived through the death of Oracle on TRU64 and now Oracle on HP-UX, my advice would always be, use the OS they are writing the product on!

Having said all that, I would still suggest you will get the best experience by using the OS your are most comfortable with. If nobody knows Linux in your department, you will probably have a bad time using Linux etc.

Other opinions are valid. :)

Cheers

Tim...